I love positive habits. I think positive habits are the key to success. Once something is a habit you don’t have to think about it, you just naturally do it and reap the benefits.
Adding new positive habits is a great way to continue leveling up. Some of my current positive habits:
- Drinking water and eating raw vegetables first thing in the morning
- Doing some pushups every day before leaving the house
- Writing in the morning, before working or checking notifications
- Turning my phone face down and off when I’m working or creating
- Stretch and meditate every day
- Turn off all lights and electronics and decompress in candle light before bed = great sleep!
So what’s up with juggling oranges? It’s a new positive habit that I’ve found gets my morning going nice! It’s simple, keep 3 oranges in a bowl on the table – they’re always waiting, and there are always 3 – and keep a couple extra oranges in the kitchen for backup (so you can eat after juggling :D).
Here’s the routine:
- Start juggling 2, then when that’s too easy, juggle 3.
- Oranges will drop. The difference in size/weight adds a fun challenge 🙂
- When you get into it, it both challenges you and gives you energy because you’re doing fun stuff. After awhile you can actually feel your arms, shoulders, core activating, like a mini exercise.
- As you’re getting it, you’ll start to gain energy, and you’ll inevitably have a few laughs. LOL’s even!
- Do this for 5-15 minutes, doesn’t matter how long, just do it. You’ll notice you get better every day, and you’ll have a natural energy boost.
- When you’re done, take the most beat up orange and eat it. Then take one of your backup oranges and put it in the bowl with the other 2. Now you have 3 oranges ready to roll when you need a little boost or break from work.
- Oranges are good for you. This habit gets you eating an orange every day.
- Natural energy. Light physical activity, plus a “game” gets you energized.
- Develop a skill. You’ll get good at juggling sure, but you’re also practicing the concept of doing something small everyday that turns into significant tangible results over time – a key realization to the power of positive habits.
- You’ll have a fun trick to bust out here and there. It starts with 3 oranges, then maybe you go to 4,5,6 oranges, or maybe you do a fruit variety… or maybe you start juggling hatchets, who knows, it’s fun though right?
Why Juggling, and Why Oranges?
I thought of this idea after watching the fire poi shows on Koh Phi Phi recently. Made me realize that I’ve spent so much time working lately that I haven’t dabbled in the pursuit of any new physical skills lately. Poi looks fun, but I like the idea of juggling because you can do it anywhere, and don’t need to bring gear with you. That’s where the oranges come into play.
I live out of 2 backpacks, and even adding a set of juggling balls would account for probably about 5% of my total capacity. I can buy fruit anywhere though. I think it’s a good idea to always have fruit and vegetables around, so you’re surrounded by healthy food and nature at all times.
Oranges are delicious! Probably taste better than juggling balls too.
Apples are a little tougher, onions are fun, I haven’t tried bananas yet but I’ll work up to a fruit medley eventually.
Give it a try it’s fun!