Win the morning, win the day!
I’m constantly experimenting on routines, and I’ve found that if I start the day awesomely, I’m happier and the day continues it’s awesomeness. If I start the day by sleeping in, browsing social media, checking emails, “swallowing the frog”, etc… I’m not too stoked on that day, and it carries over to the rest of the day.
I like to start the day clear and creative. No cell phone, no emails, no work. Wake up early and spend some quality time with yourself and your creative brain.
Current Morning Routine
- Wake up at 6:30am. Even if I went to bed late, get up everyday at 6:30, get up with the Earth. Sometimes I’ll nap later
- Drink some cold water. Brush teeth. Quick cold shower
- Stretch, breath deeply, and enjoy the calm of the morning
- Make some tea or yerba mate and write for a few minutes
- Work on my key creative task for the day (written on paper the night before)
- Cut/eat some raw vegetables or fruit to snack on
- Turn on my phone and start the workday around 9am. I try to stack creative tasks in the morning, and save any admin (and email) for later
I love my mornings, it’s now my favorite time of the day (and I’m a chronic night owl!). Being bombarded with messages, task lists, responsibilities all day makes me really grateful to have my morning peace time where it’s just me and my ideas.
The key to this is not turning your phone on your checking email until after you’ve had your morning creative time. I do this by setting my phone to airplane mode the night before, and not opening email tabs or chat apps.